Re: how does network install figure out 64-bit from 32-bit?

On Tue, 2007-08-14 at 14:51 -0700, Globe Trotter wrote:

> How did you put the diskboot.img on the FLASH?  Via DOS, Windows or
> Linux?
>
> Under DOS or Windows, you need a utility called "rawrite".  Assuming the
> FLASH is drive E: and the CD/DVD is drive D:, you'd use:
>
>     rawrite d:\images\diskboot.img e:
>
> If you're using Linux, first see if the FLASH drive got mounted.  If it
> did, take note of what device it is and unmount any filesystem on it.
> You will be writing the diskboot image to the raw device, NOT to any
> partition on it.  This is the most common problem people have with
> this.
>
> Assuming the FLASH is /dev/sdb and the ISO is mounted at /media/cdrom,
> then:
>
>     dd if=/media/cdrom/images/diskboot.img of=/dev/sdb bs=512
>
> Note the "of=/dev/sdb".  You MUST write to the raw device (/dev/sdb),
> NOT to the first partition (/dev/sdb1).
>

> Hi Rick,
>
> Thanks very much for the detailed explanation. I have been using Linux and hence the dd command. I have done as you suggested here. But, I now get a boot error, which indicates that it is recognized as a boot device, but there is clearly an error.
>
> So this is what I am doing: Pop the USB flash drive in. Look at nautilus and note that it would get mounted on /dev/sdb1 (except I have not mounted it). So, then I use the command above, and yank it out. Is this the right thing to do?

If you see it in Nautilus, it's being mounted.  You need to close the
Nautilus window first, then right click on the icon in your desktop for
the FLASH device and "Unmount volume" (or run "umount /dev/sdb1" in a
terminal as root).  Do NOT unplug the FLASH device or it'll mount again.

Now, with the device unmounted, do the "dd" command, but specify
"of=/dev/sdb", NOT "of=/dev/sdb1" in the "dd" command.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -