Re: New Hard Drive

Frank Cox wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 11:14:31 +0930
Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

If you do a "cp" copy, be sure to copy contexts, permissions, and
ownership.

One of the simplest ways to deal with this, especially if you have multiple
users and the like, and assuming that you have sufficient free disk space, is
to use tar to archive what you want, then copy that and un-tar it on the
destination.

I did that just the other day when I was moving an application server to a new
machine.  Everything that I wanted to keep was in /opt and /home so I tarred up
the whole works and copied it over and blammo!  Done deal, and back in service.

If the new hard drive is a SATO II and your motherboard is 5 years old your up a creek without a paddle. I need to call Newegg tomorrow first thing and stop my order. I can't use the 500 GB I ordered.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User