Re: Problem mounting a disk over USB

http://tinyurl.com/2pxlwm

Steven W. Orr wrote:
> I have some data I need to get to on a harddrive that has a USB
> connection. I personally formatted that drive as ext3 and put the data
> on it from another linux box. Now the drive is home with me. I powered
> the drive up and made the usb connection. I also said
> modprobe usb-storage
> I already have two SATA drives in use which are sda an sdb.
>
> Also
> 1013 > lsmod | grep usb
> usb_storage            74505  0
> scsi_mod              135529  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod
> 1014 > lsmod | grep scsi
> scsi_mod              135529  3 usb_storage,libata,sd_mod
>
> Here's what syslog had to say when I plugged in the usb connector:
>
> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 11
> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error
> -71
> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error
> -71
> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 12
> Aug 13 18:29:27 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error
> -71
> Aug 13 18:29:28 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device descriptor read/64, error
> -71
> Aug 13 18:29:28 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 13
> Aug 13 18:29:28 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device not accepting address 13,
> error -71
> Aug 13 18:29:28 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: new high speed USB device using
> ehci_hcd and address 14
> Aug 13 18:29:29 saturn kernel: usb 1-5: device not accepting address 14,
> error -71
>

> Can someone *PLEASE* tell me what to do? :-(

"Mikkel L. Ellertson" <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[The last time I ran into these type of errors, it was a USB hard
drive that was powered off the USB bus. The USB port it was plugged
into could not supply enough power for the drive. So the electronics
of the USB to IDE interface was not initializing properly. Changing
the connection to a self powered hub fixed the problem. I seem to
remember another case where only the electronics was powered by the
USB bus. It would not work when attached to a bus powered hub.]

I suspect that's not my problem. This is a 160G drive with a USB adapter
on it with a seperate powersupply. So the power to the disk is not coming
from USB. Is it possible there's an incompatibility between my computer
with USB2.0 and the connection to the disk being a possible USB1.2?

steveo at syslang.net