RE: Has anyone ever made scanning work?

Have a look at the list of supported scanners at:

http://www.sane-project.org/

BTW, the Epson 2480 Photo scanner is listed as "good" which means that
it generally works, but that some features might be missing. There are
lots of Epson scanner models that are listed as "complete" and would
probably be a better choice.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada