Re: Producing pdf files with copyable text

At 12:53 AM +0100 8/12/07, Paul Smith wrote:
>On 8/12/07, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > and my cups-pdf only produces bitmapped pdfs.
>>
>> In the past, I've had mixed results.  I don't recall all the ins and
>> outs, but the content created, and what applications I used, had an
>> effect.
>>
>> Did you try creating a document with the ordinary fonts used in PDF
>> files (Times, etc.), or ones that it'll have to embed or pre-render?
>
>I just print to a file as ps and then I use ps2pdf. I have just tried
>this method with a OOo document written with Times New Roman, but
>again the resulting pdf is bitmapped. The problem maybe located in the
>way Linux produces the ps file and not in ps2pdf.
>
>> And what programs have you tried to print a PDF file with?
>
>Firefox and Opera.

>From what has been said recently in the thread, it seems likely that the
fonts you use are the issue, in that the font either has to be so standard
that it is assumed always available, or it must be embedded if allowed, or
the pdf must be bitmapped where that font is used.  Possibly the output of
pdffonts will tell you what is going on.  By default, ps2pdf won't embed
the "14 standard fonts" (Courier, Helvetica, Times, Symbol, ZapfDingbats)
-- see /user/share/doc/ghostscript*/Ps2pdf.htm.