Re: Internet slow down related to the firewall

On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 21:24 -0700, Les wrote:
> Finally in an act of desparation I turned off the firewall.  Presto,
> network speed is better than ever.
>
> Question....
> How can the firewall cause the speed to be good for 2 or 3 seconds
> (1.5Mb) and then fall to 30Kbit?  Anyone?

Post your rules so we don't have to guess.  If your filter out to much
you can also filter out things normally needed for proper networking.
e.g. You shouldn't arbitrarily filter out all ICMP traffic.

I seem to remember that MTU negotiation is done via ICMP, kill off that
functionality and you can knobble your traffic.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-41.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.