Re: How can you get a Seagate USB 160 GB drive to mount?

Ed Greshko wrote:
Richard England wrote:
I have acquired a Seagate ST31600261-RK  160GB  USB drive.

It is billed as a "Pushbutton Backup External Hard Drive". (..well
pushbutton perhaps in Windoze...).

/sbin/lsusb shows it appearing as /dev/sdc1  and by adding the following
to my /etc/fstab file
   /dev/sdc1   /mnt/seagate   vfat   rw

I can mount it, logged in as root, using
   mount /mnt/seagate

At the end of the line....  rw,users

It does NOT "automount" like my USB thumb drives and USB printers
automount. What needs to be configured to get this to work in a similar fashion? I
assume that it will involve /etc/udev (given the recent discussion here)
and perhaps hal, and the manufacturer and device code from lsusb.

If someone can give me some starters on what to research then if/when I
get it to work I will submit an enhancement request to get this device
added so the next person can benefit.

?

Thanks for any input,
~~R

Thanks, Ed. That will enable non-root users to mount. But it would be nice if it did the thumbdrive/camera routine and mounted itself. That's the direction I would like help/pointers on.

~~R