Re: fedora 7 install

Jerome Kan wrote:
> Hey,
>

> I’ve been trying to install fedora 7 for awhile now on a dual boot
> system with windows; however, for some odd reason whenever I install it,
> it seems to refuse to boot up in either windows or linux and im not
> exactly sure why. I made a custom partition for the linux, and read over
> and followed the installation manual. The issue will most likely end up
> being some stupid small issue that I over looked; however, any help in
> this matter is much appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Jerome

More information would help. How big is the hard drive? Did you
create a separate /boot partition? How new is your BIOS? What do you
see when you try and boot after installing Linux?

It is hard to say what the problem is, but it may be that the
/boot/grub directory is on a part of the hard drive that the BIOS
can not access. This is less common with today's systems, but it can
still bite you with large drives and older systems. You can also run
into problems when you have more then one drive, and the drive with
the /boot directory tree is on a controller that is not accessible
by the BIOS. You can also run into problems if the disk order during
install is different then the disk order when you are doing a normal
boot. (Installing/upgrading to an external USB drive can be
interesting.)

You also have the option of using the Windows boot loader as the
main boot loader, instead of Grub. You install Grub to your root or
/boot partition, instead of the MBR, and then create a file with the
Grub boot loader for use in Windows. (I don't have the URL for the
HOWTO on doing that handy, but I am sure someone could provide it if
you want to go that route.)

I am sorry I can not provide more specific answers, but without
knowing your hardware/disk layout, this is the best I can do.

Mikkel