Re: how to identify 32 vs 64 bit CPU?

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Chris Jones wrote:

> > How about uname?  `uname -a` gives all of it.  See `man uname` for subsets
> > and the ordering of the "-a" output.  If you need more than just x86, I
> > think any solution will be a bit involved.
>
> AFAIK, uname only tells you what you are running, not what you
> *could* run. I.e. you couldn't tell the diffrence between a 32 bit
> os on a 64 bit capable machine or a 32 bit only machine.

i was just about to say something like that.  on my athlon 64 system,
uname -a does include the string "athlon" in the output, but i don't
want to have to carefully parse the output looking for model names and
matching those names with word sizes.

so far, the "lm" string in /proc/cpuinfo looks like the best solution,
unless someone has a better idea.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA