Re: F7 software RAID docs?

On Thursday 09 August 2007 09:44, Les wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-08-09 at 09:13 -0400, Neal Becker wrote:
> > Bruno Wolff III wrote:

> > > You can do a custom disk layout during install. It isn't too hard to
> > > figure out do a raid 0 install, though choosing good values for
> > > chunking might take some guesswork.
> > >
> > > What are you going to be doing that makes you think raid 0 is
> > > desirable? For modern home machines with lots of memory, this probably
> > > isn't going to give you much of a speed up in typical use. It will make
> > > the chances of your file system being lost because of a hardware
> > > problem, about double. Raid 1 or 10 seem to be more useful for home
> > > users, than raid 0.
> >
> > No!  If the prob of failure during an interval T is pf, the prob of
> > failure for an array of 2 drives during T is 1 - (1-pf)^2.
>
> Just for completeness it should be pointed out that this is for random
> failures.  If the failure mode is non-random, say a design flaw or
> mechanical assembly error, the formula doesn't hold, and the error
> probability is nearly the same as a single disk.  Although in "real
> life", the errors are likely somewhere between random and design
> related, so the formula is very close to the actual figure, especially
> given reasonable testing standards by the manufacturer.
>
> Regards,
> Les H

not to contradict anything said here, but Seagate estimates that the MTBF for
my drive, a 7200.10 series 320 GB SATA is 700,000 hours. Half of that is
still 34 years. Probably the drive will be full before then...

And the backup is planned to be a separate larger drive that will mirror the
system overnight. What do people recommend for that, rsync? Ideally the
backup would be incremental and leave me with a drive that just needs to be
configured as master (boot drive) to get me back in business.

Dave

--
The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral
philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for