Re: AMD hp laptop with wireless

On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 14:15 -0600, Kevin Kempter wrote:
> Hi Liat;
>
> What do I need to get an AMD wireless connection to work? Will it just work
> with Fedora 7 like it does for an Intel Centrino?

If the wireless chip is an Intel 3945, it should work out of the box.
(iwl3945 driver).  If it's an Intel 4965, F7 has a driver (iwl4965),
but you'll need the firmware.

If it's a Broadcom, that's a bit trickier but it can be done either
by using the bcm43xx driver or bcm43xx-mac80211 drivers and firmware
files, or by use of the (wait for it...!) ndiswrapper mechanism.
(ducking real fast to avoid the flame war starting up again).

I have F7 on both Centrino-based and Athlon 64-based laptops (both
HP).  I've used both the bcm43xx AND ndiswrapper on the Athlon machine,
and the iwl4965 driver and firmware I found on the Centrino machine.
It took a bit of doing (gee, like 2 hours finding stuff), but I dood it.

The real PITAs were on the Centrino (HP Pavilion dv6565us).  The initial
F7 install craps out because the kernel doesn't recognize the CD/DVD
drive.  I had the ISO image of the F7 DVD on a 16GB FLASH and did a
disk-based install, got the Realtek wired NIC up and did a quick
"yum -y update".  The 2.6.22.1-41 kernel has no problem with the CD/DVD
drive.  It may be a udev thing, but I don't care at this point.

The other problem was getting the sound to work.  The dv6565us has a
Realtek 268 codec which the current Alsa doesn't grok.  A quick trip
to the mercurial software repo at alsa-sound.org and a rebuild of the
driver and libraries fixed that.  Not for the faint of heart.

The webcam on the machine uses the uvcvideo driver, but the standard
udev/modprobe stuff doesn't recognize the USB product ID.  Either
modprobe uvcvideo or stick the MID/PID info into the appropriate
udev config file so it fires up on boot.

I got the fingerprint reader to work, but there really aren't any
applications for it yet.  Just got some stuff off the web that will
scan and display a fingerprint in ImageMagick.  Supposedly there's
a SANE back-end in the works.  We'll see.  It's amusing right now.

So, with a bit of work, the dv6565us is a fully functional F7 laptop.
And yes, it works just peachy running normal kernels.  I'm trying to
get the Xen kernel to run on it...so far, the video doesn't work (new
Intel 915 chipset that the driver doesn't recognize).  Haven't gotten
much further with the Xen side of things.

- Rick Stevens, Principal Engineer             rstevens@xxxxxxxxxxxx -
- CDN Systems, Internap, Inc.                http://www.internap.com -
-                      LOOK OUT!!! BEHIND YOU!!!                     -