Re: my hosts file

Yes I am using 8080 for my Cms.  This is used to access the Cms itself.

Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Aaron Konstam" <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 07, 2007 8:55 AM
Subject: Re: my hosts file

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 17:47 -0500, Scott wrote:

Hi Aaron,

Okay I have the hosts set up now.  Like I said they are going to be
running on the same machine. Also just out of curiosity say you have a certain port like my Cms(Content Management System) runs on 8080 does this need to be present in the hosts file or am I just telling the computer okay you will act as these machines. My educated guess is that I am just telling the machine okay you will be these servers but I just want to make sure I know what I am doing here. This is the first time I have mucked with the hosts file.
I am not sure I am understanding you. The hosts file is only of use to
tell the local machine what names are associated with which ip number.
You local machine could be addressed by many names by remote machines as
long as the DNS records translate the names to the ip address associated
with the NIC on your local machine. So if you are running more than one
server on the same local machine that really makes no difference to the
local machines configuration. Although for sanity all the names your
machine is called remotely should appear in your hosts file associated
with your local ip number.

Now the reference to 8080 confuses me. Are you saying that the service
runs on port 8080? If so no mention of that need be in the hosts file.
Clarify this because that might effect the contents of
your /etc/services file.
Once more just to make sure I am following your advice I will send out
the hosts file. I apologize if I am very careful but I worked on Windows machines for almost 20 years and now just really getting my feet wet so to speak with Linux. I do hostse have some basic knowledge of Linux and do read if I need to or if I can understand it.
The wombat lives across the seas, Among the far Antipodes. He may exist
on nuts and berries, Or then again, on missionaries; His distant habitat
precludes Conclusive knowledge of his moods. But I would not engage the
wombat In any form of mortal combat. -- "The Wombat"