Re : Abandoning Linux and Gnome problems

I'm still not sure where all these comments are coming from. The only
problem I've found with Gnome in switching from FC6 to fc7 is that it
won't exit cleanly and I have to remove the session file from .gnome_2
in order to get back in as user if I ever exit to do something as root.
This is an irritation I agree and, like Paul Johnson, I would probably
have abandoned at least Fedora if I had started off with fc7. However, I
still stand by my conclusions that, overall, Linux is streets ahead of
Windoze. Fortunately, if one is not satisfied or is having problems with
Fedora, then there are : SuSE, Debian, Ubuntu, Mepis, DSL, BSD, Xandros,
Mandriva and many, many others. I've tried many, many different distros
and the principal reason that I use Fedora is that I got "hooked" on it
at FC3 and have gotten used to its particular characteristics such that,
if I switch to another distro, I find I hit the wrong keys or the
desktop looks wrong or the menus aren't in the same order or something
like that : always minor things. Occasionally, a distro won't set up my
ADSL automatically and, the odd distro makes setting up somewhat
obscure, so I drop that one because I can't be bothered to spend the
time on it as I now use a computer for my pleasure and not for my work.
I would comment that I have been in the computer industry more or less
since its inception in the 1950s and have designed hardware, designed
central processors, programmed in binary, assemblers, and a variety of
high-level languages. I have set up multi-processor distributed data
acquisition systems and worked in OSs discovering bugs and/or improving
performance. In all my experience, if I had ever produced or had
produced for me such awful code that M$ sells at an excessive price, I
would have been fired or forced to fire in my turn for sheer
incompetence. Code should (a) be modular and (b) should be as bug free
as possible in other words, it should be THOROUGHLY tested before it can
ever be considered as "working code". In my experience, Windoze doesn't
come near these criteria.
So, don't give up on Linux if you hit a few shortcomings : there's
always another distro to try (or even an older distro if it comes to
that : there must be many people out there who are still using
less-than-current versions of their distro).
CroombeFP M.Sc., P.Eng.
--
This message comes to you entirely M$ free : only genuine Tux
products have been used.