Re: Can I mount my motorola razr as a USB disk?

On 8/5/07, Steven W. Orr <steveo@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Saturday, Aug 4th 2007 at 17:35 -1000, quoth David Burns:

> Ok. Let me rephrase the question. I see that the phones take a little
> memory card (with which I have no experience). If I get an sd memory card
> for the phone and a card reader to plug into my linux platform, will the
> sd card appear as a mountable disk the same way that a thumb drive
> appears? (I could live with that.) Switching away from verizon btw is not
> an option.  In this neck of the woods, they're the only provider that
> really works.

Get a $10 USB card reader.  Then plug that into the PC and you can use
the disk as if it were a flash disk.

The big problem is that the Software in the phone won't cooperate with
files you simply copy on there.  It won't play mp3 files as music
files, but it will play them as ringtones.

Like you, I'm stuck with Verizon, but am not too happy about what they
did to this phone.

I've found the only way to get songs into the phone is to run the
windows media player version 10, which of course requires windows.
I've tried moto4lin and bitpim in Linux and neither work, despite many
many hours of trying.

Bitpim in Windows does work, and you can use it to copy your
addressbook out of the phone.

But the only songs it will play are the wma files from Media player.
If you have mp3 in linux directories, you can use the Iexplore program
in windows to access those files, and Media player will convert them
when you try to put them in the  phone.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science