Re: System freezing frequently

Chris Kurecka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been running Fedora since the project began (and Red Hat before
> it), but all of a sudden for the past month or two, my system has been
> freezing.  It seems to be more likely to happen if it has recently
> happened, so if my PC is on for 6 hours without issue and then
> freezes, it might freeze again 30 minutes later.  This is on Fedora 7,
> and I don't think it happened in the test releases, but can't be
> completely sure.
>
> The main symptom is that everything becomes unresponsive.  Both the
> mouse and keyboard fail to work (so I can't Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or
> Ctrl-Alt-F1, etc.), and the mouse doesn't do anything.  Often (but I
> don't think it happens every time), the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock
> lights start blinking rapidly once the system is frozen.
>
> I'm running an Athlon 64 X2 3800+ and GeForce 7300GS.  I'm using the
> regular x86 version of the distro rather than the x86_64 build at the
> moment, but I've gone back and forth between them over the years and
> don't see why that should be the issue.  I first noticed this with the
> "nvidia" video driver and compiz, so I disabled compiz.  The freezing
> persisted, so I then further switched to the main "nv" driver.  The
> freezing is continuing to occur.
>
> I found an obscure bug mentioned online that some people have with
> AMD's Cool & Quiet (or something like that) for power management, so I
> tried disabling that in the BIOS, but that also did not fix things.
>
> For what it's worth, the issue also happens in Ubuntu 07.04 on a
> different partition, though I use that much more rarely.  I have the
> GNOME System Monitor applet in my panel, and it looks like CPU0 goes
> to near 100% when the system is frozen, and CPU1 is maybe 20-50%.  The
> hard disk light also seems to be blinking rapidly.
>
> My inclination is to think that it's something related to the kernel,
> since it seems to have to do with the CPU spiking, but I have no idea.
>  I've gotten my PC to freeze when using Firefox, Evolution, Pidgin, or
> just Nautilus.  It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing at the time.
> I don't think it's a hardware issue, but I can't be sure.
>
> I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions.  I'm not sure why
> this has started all of a sudden.

I would think it is more likely related to your hardware.  In no particular
order....

1.  Check fans and filters.
2.  A flaky power supply could be the cause.
3.  Memory problem.  Run memtest for several hours.

You also don't mention if you have the system powered off for a considerable
length of time.  That would even more point to heat or weakened components.