Re: VMware install problem.

On Sat, 2007-08-04 at 15:09 +0200, Erik P. Olsen wrote:
> I have been foolish enough to upgrade my VMware server release (on FC5) and now
> it won't launch. Seeing the error messages produced I didn't really expect it to
> launch. Please take a look at the attached error message file. It looks like the
> install process doesn't like c++. Is that because I need to upgrade the kernel?
> I am currently on 2.6.18-1.2239.fc5 and the VMware I am trying to install is
> VMware-server-1.0.3-44356 and any-any 113.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,

Is that the end of the log?  Those warnings are not unusual, but (in
Workstation, at least) they are usually followed by messages about
success loading the vmmon module, then attempts to compile and load the
vmnet module.  Your log has no indication of an actual error that stops
the build, but no indication of success either.

If the build really did succeed, then can you post the result of trying
to start the VM from a command line?  Is there anything unusual in dmesg
or /var/log/messages about starting the service at boot?

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu