Re: Cups problem with root access

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
david walcroft wrote:
Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
david walcroft wrote:
I cannot get cups to accept a root login on the web page,it keeps
resurfacing
for a login after entering the root password.Where does cups store its
passwords
so I can delete the password and enter a new one.
Is there another way around this problem.

 Thanks  david

Are you accessing the CUPS page from the local, or a remote machine?
 CUPS will not allow remote administration with the default settings.

As far as I know, CUPS uses PAM to check the passwords, so if the
root password will allow you to log in as root on the machine CUPS
is running on, it should allow you to administer CUPS.

Mikkel
Yes I'm using a local machine,every other login for root is ok bar Cups,
do you know how to get this thing fixed.

Is anything showing up in the logs? I would also verify that you
have /etc/pam.d/cups and that it looks something like:

#%PAM-1.0
auth    include         system-auth
account include         system-auth

Mikkel
Thanks Mikkel,I checked that file and it is  as stated .

   david