Re: Yum Upgrade

On 7/25/07, Jim Douglas <jdz99@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Can you upgrade with Yum from 6 to 7?
>
> Jim

I have done it several times, and there are a few problems to be aware of.

You install the fedora-release and fedora-release-notes from F7, then
try yum update and watch what happens.

Be warned, you will see errors at the end due to file conflicts.  So
remove those rpms that cause conflicts, and try to use yum to update
those particular ones.

perl and python upgrades did not go smoothly.

Download perl, perl-libs, and whatever other perl rpms you have now
(see them with "rpm -qa | grep perl") .   perl has conflicts with many
things, but you really need it, so you have to do one of those "rpm -e
perl --nodeps" and then right away install the new perl.

Before you start, check your /etc/fstab file and make sure you are
using LABELS for alll mounted drives.  If not, create them and
reconfigure. (e2label does that). Make sure the system starts in F6
after doing that.

Huge problem I ran into was that F7 uses scsi to access ide drives, so
things that used to be seen as hda are now sda.  And the labeling of
other devices had big changes.  I have a CD that was /dev/hdc, but now
the 3rd ide drive is /dev/sdc, and the cdrom is /dev/scd0.  It caused
problems in the software RAID configuration and also in grub.

Good luck, unless you are pretty experienced, you are better advised
to run the disk upgrade

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science