Re: recording video from webcam?

Tom Horsley wrote:
I see mencoder is supposed to be able to record audio from
an alsa audio source, but I've never been able to get it
to work. (I can start up arecord in the background, then
combine the audio and video with a 0.4 second delay, and
have it work reasonably well, but that seems kinda klunky).

Any handy apps for recording video and audio simultaneously
(with a v4l2 only driver - not the original v4l)?

I do that with a webcam using ffmpeg. The format for video-only is this:
  ffmpeg -f video4linux -s vga -re /dev/video2 demo.mpg

To add audio, you need to use "-f audio_device -i {device}" and specify your device. I haven't wanted audio for what I'm doing, so I can't even guess what the audio device on your system is called.

All the fancy DVR apps I've tried seem to freak out when
presented with a video source that doesn't have a tuner
(maybe it would be simpler to hack the driver to pretend
to have a tuner, but always tune to the same channel :-).

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>