Re: is there a way to get CD isos of Fedora 7?

On 2007/08/02 23:42 (GMT-0700) Darlene Wallach apparently typed:

> Felix Miata wrote:

>> The query would be for your model of CD-ROM to determine whether it can be a
>> boot device. Every LSI/SYM875* controller I've encountered can automatically
>> boot from CD-ROM without any host adapter configuration, but only if the
>> CD-ROM device is boot capable, and that capability includes understanding the
>> type used by the CD you wish to boot from.

> # lspci | grep -i sym
> 01:0a.0 SCSI storage controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c810 (rev 12)

> I googled "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic 53c810 (rev 12)"
> nothing regarding being able to boot was returned,
> only the bug I see when I boot my system.

That adapter has no BIOS unless installed to a motherboard that includes an
NCR BIOS embedded within the motherboard BIOS (ASUS and a few others used to
do that), but even then only a HD could be booted from it.

http://tinyurl.com/2nzcvg can replace your 53c810 without any reconfiguration
of any kind necessary in Linux. It does have a BIOS that can boot a CD if the
CD device has that capability. There is a probable difference in that its
external connector is 68 pin, while yours if present is probably 50 pin. If
all you have connected is your internal CD that won't matter.

Booting the installation kernel/initrd through Grub right off your HD would
be very much easier than futzing with hardware.
--
"   It is impossible to rightly govern the world without
God and the Bible."                    George Washington

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409