Re: Setting up KVM?

> Question? After starting my install I switch to the monitor and type
> "info kqemu". I get this "kqemu support: not compiled" as output. Why? I
> have the module loaded. Here's my lsmod output:
> kvm_intel              29777  0
> kvm                    75033  1 kvm_intel
>
> Do I need something else for this to work? I've used both qemu-kvm and
> qemu. Here's my command line to start the install:
>
> qemu-kvm -hda /data/winxp1.img -cdrom /data/winxp.iso -soundhw es1370 -m
> 256 -boot d -usb -usbdevice tablet

Yes, you do!  You need the kqemu module to have qemu acceleration,
this is the output of two lsmod commands:

[root@linbook2 ~]# lsmod | grep qemu
kqemu                 124708  0
[root@linbook2 ~]# lsmod | grep kvm
kvm_amd                19276  0
kvm                    61557  1 kvm_amd
[root@linbook2 ~]#

Also, after the initial setup, keep the cdrom defined as the image
until you finish the change to standard pc.  Also, to launch the vm on
a regular basis I would create a quick launch icon with the command
line cut and pasted into the command.  I do not use the virt-manager.

You also need a udev entry for the kqemu module like this:

KERNEL=="kqemu", NAME="%k", MODE="0666", GROUP="kqemu"

I put this in a file in the /etc/udev/rules.d directory and named it
60-kqemu.rules

Based on the above entry you will need to make a system group called
kqemu and add any standard users to that group to be able to use the
kqemu acceleration.

--
John
Registered Linux User 263680, get counted at