Re: UDEV

Nigel Henry wrote:
On Thursday 02 August 2007 16:21, Karl Larsen wrote:
Andy Green wrote:
    I read but did not understand any details of udev but I am certain
it is why my old application called gmfsk finds that /dev/dsp is busy.
It is not busy but the current setup of udev makes it appear busy. Also
it is certain that udev can have upset with the new kernels and be
causing the problems some or most of us are having.
What makes you think /dev/dsp isn't busy, and if it is busy, that udev
is to blame?  Try this

lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp

it should list any processes that have /dev/dsp open.

-Andy
 I did that and got no result. I think that means it is not busy?

--

 Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
 Linux User

Hi Karl. Did you have the gmfsk ham radio app running when you tried the above command? I seem to remember a while back that you said that rx was ok, but you got the /dev/dsp problem when tx'ing.

Yes that is correct. It does work through the same /dev/dsp on receive of course.

It may be worth trying starting gmfsk with aoss. You need to install the package alsa-oss, then launch the app as.
aoss gmfsk

That is if gmsfk is the command for launching it.

I've just looked at this on one of my 2 machines that does not have a soundcard capable of multiple audio streams. I listen to Internet radio, and start opera with, aoss opera. This way I can use other audio apps at the same time. I ran /usr/sbin/lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp while listening to Internet radio, and just got a return to the command prompt. Btw www.bbc.co.uk/radio4 uses the BBC radio player, that is using RealPlayer (an OSS app).

So next I close Opera, and open Firefox, which isn't started using "aoss". Go to www.bbc.co.uk/radio4, click on listen live, and re-run,
/usr/sbin/lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp

This time I get the following output.

$ /usr/sbin/lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
realplay. 29809 djmons    5w   CHR       14,3              360131 /dev/dsp

Now /dev/dsp is busy, and I know I can't use more audio apps while it's in this state.

It's worth giving aoss a try. There's nothing to lose, and if it works, it works.

I think you also said that gmfsk was working ok on FC6. Was that on the same machine, with the same soundcard? If so, it is a bit strange that it's not working on F7.

There are problems with UDEV, and I've had problems with the ordering of video devices. Thankfully resolved for my Debian installs from help on the Debian list, and hopefully the same fix will work on my FC installs that are using UDEV.

All the best.

Nigel.

OK I yummed the 2 files and used $ aoss gmfsk and as you expected it worked! I will do some learning as to why in the future but thanks for the idea. It now runs on F7

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User