Re: yum update

Having once experienced precisely what Karl describes above, I'd say you're wrong. I did spot what it was proposing to do as I always read the proposed changes before accepting them. It was a while ago in FC6, and there was a period of some days where yum was doing some strange things, and as I recall, I ended up removing yum and reinstalling it and doing some 'clean all's (not necessarily in that sequence) before it was fixed. I don't know what caused this behavior, and I'm sure it's not supposed to ever happen, since it would be insane, but, some combination of things I'd done, or bugs, or corruption in the database, did cause the anomalous behavior -- which is one reason I never run automatic yum updates...never say *never*

OK, maybe saying *never* was asking for trouble ;)

Better then, AFAIK yum is never supposed to remove the currently running kernel...

I also never let my Fedora systems update themselves, given the nature of Fedora I prefer to review the updates. The few times I've needed to pin myself to an older kernel version, due to problems with newer ones, yum has never mis-behaved and tried to remove the one I was running...

Chris