Re: Get message "Nothing to do" when yum installing kernel-2.6.22.1-33.fc7

Kam Leo:
>>> 2) Select a more responsive [in terms of syncing]
>>> mirror. [One can use the fastestmirror plugin

Tim:
>> Does the fastest mirror plugin also check for updatedness?  I hadn't
>> heard that, before.

Kam Leo:
> You, of course, would read my reply out of context. I do not recommend
> using the fastestmirror plugin.  I recommended using a fast mirror.

I read the whole thing.  Perhaps you didn't write it very coherently, in

What you wrote reads as:

> That would not fix his problem. Antonio knows a specific set of
> packages exits; however, the repository used by yum lagged behind his
> awareness. The fix is actually simple:

> 1) Do not use a random miror via the mirrorlist.

> 2) Select a more responsive [in terms of syncing] mirror. [One can use
> the fastestmirror plugin, but I prefer selecting my own from
> http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/7/ ]

> And/or 3) Use multiple mirrors for updates.

Now tell me why point two doesn't suggest why the two things aren't
related?  It looks exactly like you're suggesting the fastest mirror
plugin goes along with resolving a syncing problem.

That was why I asked if it did more than one thing.

> This is a generality, YMMV: My experience is that the faster mirrors;
> that is, those with high bandwidth, tend to have more resources
> available and, thus, sync to the Fedora servers on a dependable
> schedule. Find a fast mirror that does not lag too far from the main
> Fedora servers and you can be assured that eventually your system will
> able to get released updates.

To me, a fast mirror is just one with good bandwidth between myself and
it, it doesn't automatically mean anything else.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.