Re: SQUID Caching Problem

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Charles Curley wrote:

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 04:12:41PM -0600, Charles Curley wrote:
I have pretty much a plain vanilla SQUID setup on F7. It refuses to
update its cache.

I have just updated several pages on my home page. Browsers that do
not use SQUID get the new pages. Firefox uses SQUID, and gets the old
pages. If I set Firefox to bypass SQUID and refresh, I get the new
material. If I then set Firefox to use SQUID and refresh, I then get
the old page.

Differences from the default (squid.conf.rpmnew) are:

  dns_defnames on
  visible_hostname charlesc

  An ACL definition and an allow statement for that, which have worked
  for several years.

Commenting out the first two and restarting SQUID makes no difference
in this problem.

[root@charlesc etc]# pre squid
squid-2.6.STABLE13-1.fc7

Now I wonder if it is just SQUID or some subtle combination of SQUID
and that version of Firefox. If I use firefox-2.0.0.3.tar.gz on FC6, I
don't see the problem. Similarly with Konqueror on F7,
kdebase-3.5.7-0.1.fc7.

I suspect that Squid is working properly, as programmed, since I have used Squid for many years and experienced the same behavior.

Have a look at the Squid logs, note the "HIT" entries when your browser refreshes the page.

Now, refresh the page with a CTRL-refresh. Note that the logs now show "CLIENT_REFRESH". This is the result of Squid caching, properly, but more aggressively then your browser.

ed