Re: F7: What or who is changing my PCM volume?

Jurgen Kramer wrote:
Ah, thanks. I've checked the scripts again. There is only a alsa
reference in the "halt" script, it calls "/sbin/salsa" (?). In FC6 it
called alsactl.

salsa seems to be a utility to save and restore alsa control state during shutdown/startup. No man page. Salsa seems to be independent of alsactl as saving state with salsa is not the same as with 'alsactl store'. alsactl stores it's configuration in /etc/asound.state. I'm not sure where salsa stores it's settings.

Also, I couldn't find any reference to alsactl or salsa being called to restore sound state in any of the startup scripts. Hence the default "factory settings" every time you reboot.

OK, I will add this to my rc.local as a workaround. Really odd that not
more people have this bug, maybe it is related to the type of soundcard
in use.

Instead of putting `/sbin/alsactl restore` in rc.local, putting `/sbin/salsa -r` will restore the settings in place during the last shutdown. Better, yes?

--
Regards,
विवेक ज. पाटणकर (Vivek J. Patankar)

Registered Linux User #374218