Re: intel DQ965GF and nVidia PCI woes

On 8/1/07, Ian Malone <ibmalone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/08/07, Lonni J Friedman <netllama@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On 8/1/07, michael <cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Folks, I'm new to Fedora so please excuse anything I'm ignorant about!
> > > Having said that, I've been Googling about and trying different things
> > > for a couple of days so I think it's now time to ask the experts (you!).
> > >
> > > I've got a new box, it's got a intel DQ965GF mobo, with 2 SATA disks
> > > (LVM) and came with Fedora 2.6.22.1-41.fc7 running on it. I wanted to
> > > put my old nVidia geForce fx 5200 (PCI card) into it to allow me to use
> > > both my TFTs. However, when I do this it gets to the GRUB menu, starts
> > > to load a kernel (is that the right phrase) and then falls over. If I
> > > leave the card in but tell the BIOS to use the internal graphics it
> > > boots okay. But when return BIOS to auto detect or explicitly use the
> > > nVidia card it falls over during boot. I've tried appending
> > >  acpi=off
> > >  pci=nommconf
> > > at the end of the GRUB boot command but with no success. Generally the
> > > failure messages say (at about the time there's agpgart messages):
> > >   general protection fault 0000[1] SMP
> > >
> > > I'm at a loss as to why it's not working!
> >
> > Most likely the motherboard was never meant to boot with an external
> > graphics card.
> >

> While I can't suggest what might be wrong (maybe see
> if it's possible to boot to runlevel 3: add the single digit '3' at
> the end of the kernel line), it sounds like the motherboard is
> happily starting up with the graphics card, and if the BIOS
> has an option to not use an add-on card then it it's natural
> to think the flip side is to use one.  Sounds like a driver issue.

But which driver?  From the initial description it sounds like things
are going south well before X even starts up, and a graphics card this
old has worked fine under vesa, nv & nvidia X drivers for ages now.

> The OP doesn't have two displays plugged in by any chance?
> (And by that I mean two cables, even if they go to the same
> monitor.) The nv driver doesn't like doing dual-head.

True, but that certainly wouldn't cause an OS crash.  And just because
there are two display devices plugged in doesn't mean that they would
get used automatically unless X was configured that way.