Re: The case against LVM

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 09:40:54PM +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> I'm curious about two things:  Wouldn't resizing LVM involve fragmenting
> >> the drive, in another way?
>
> Ewan Mac Mahon:
> > Only physically; if I allocate space to one filesystem, then create
> > another, then extend the first one then the physical storage for the
> > first one will be in two chunks with the second fs sitting between them.
> > The point of LVM is that I don't need to care about it since it appears
> > as a single logical space.
>
> Isn't that the situation with fragmentation of any sort, though?
It depends what you mean by 'fragmentation'; if you have several non-LVM
disks in a system each with some free space on them a user has to decide
which disk to use, or, if they've got a large chunk of data they may
find that no single disk has enough free space so they have to split it
up. It all gets very messy. In the LVM case the free space may be
physically fragmented over just as many drives, but the user (and the
admin :-) ) don't know or care; they just see simple logical divisions.

My killer use case is the one where a user comes and asks for more disk
space - say an extra 200G: With LVM I need 200G free, and then I extend
their filesystem, and the jobs done. Without it I'd either have to give
them a new separate 200G chunk of space, or find enough room for all
their existing data+200G; allocate it, copy the existing data across,
and reclaim the old space.

> The heads having to skate about more, and only the drive really knows
> where all the bits are (pun intended).
In this particular case there's really no point trying to second guess
what the drive heads are doing since the 'drives' are actually hardware
RAID arrays. I'm not sure it makes much difference for most single drive
systems either; modern drives play all sorts of interesting games with
the layout, so even on a laptop only the drive really knows where all
the bits are anyway.

>  Does LVM really manage that more efficiently?

It's more efficient for the user since the process of figuring out who
needs how much space, and which physical resources to use to provide
that space are taken off your hands and given to the computer. Which is
/good/ at boring fiddly stuff. It's not more efficient in terms of raw
disk speed - there will be an overhead.

Ewan