Re: The case against LVM

Timothy Murphy wrote:
I've been using LVM on one computer for some time,
without any real problems.

However, I've decided that it causes unnecessary complications,
as some applications do not seem to accept the LVM devices,
while I don't find any real advantages to compensate.

I thought it would simplify changing the sizes of partitions,
but as it happens I never need to do this
with today's enormous disks.

I wonder if that is the general experience?

Since the default is for a /boot regular partition and only a / and swap within the LVM, how is resizing possible even with an LVM? Can you pick and choose which directory to export or is it just / or swap that you could grow across the newly installed hard disk that you installed in the future?

Jim

--
Windows NT Performance, on the next "In Search Of"