Re: The case against LVM

On 7/31/07, Timothy Murphy <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> However, I've decided that it causes unnecessary complications,
> as some applications do not seem to accept the LVM devices,
> while I don't find any real advantages to compensate.

I think it definitely can make rescues and recovery more difficult.
But, not impossible.

> I thought it would simplify changing the sizes of partitions,
> but as it happens I never need to do this
> with today's enormous disks.

I think enormous disks are relative.  For my desktop, I think I have
an enormous disk.  For our image-processing servers, we don't have
enormous disks.

I think for many desktops, there isn't much of a need for multiple
partitions.  But, if there's a marginal improvement, and you can
create abstractions that nicely bypass the downsides, its a good
thing.