Re: NTFS Disks?

On Sat, Jul 28, 2007 at 10:14:54AM -0700, Knute Johnson wrote:
> I saw a package get updated the other day, ntfs-3g.  I went to their
> website to check it out.  They had procedures there for mounting NTFS
> partitions.  I haven't payed any attention to NTFS in quite a while but
> the last thing I remember was that it wasn't safe to write to NTFS
> partitions from Linux.  Is that still true?

See "What currently exists (in the kernel driver)" at
http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=status. In short, the
developers think it's safe to write, for most purposes, but are
reluctant to come out an say so. However, note that that page is
labeled, "Last modified: 2006/06/02 14:18 by yuval", i.e. things may
have changed in the last year (or year and a half?).

> Is this ntfs-3g driver safe to use on my Winblows XP partition?

For reading, yes. For writing, probably. Most of the time. Again, see
http://wiki.linux-ntfs.org/doku.php?id=status.

Understand that all of this has been written with no help from
Microsoft, especially no documentation. Also, NTFS is evolving,
e.g. there were major changes from the NFTS that came with NT 3.51 and
that which came with NT 4 (Windows 2000). So I wouldn't try writing to
a Vista partition until the developers say they think it's safe.

> Should my NTFS partitions automount?  How do I make it work when my
> computer starts up?

In /etc/fstab, e.g.:

/dev/hda1               /mnt/dosc               ntfs-3g defaults        0 0