Re: F7 Kernel 2.6.22.1-33.fc7 Scanner

On Sat, 2007-07-28 at 20:20 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > After updating still I can't use my scanner as normal user: as root it works.
> > Two kernels older it was working.
> > When someone will care to solve the problem???
> >
> that sounds like console.perms is not being called when the scanner
> is added. Console.perms should set the "owner" of the scanner to the
> user logged in at the console.

I see this issue as well, but my scanner is attached to a machine that
doesn't have a console.  I want to log in via ssh and run xsane, but if
console.perms is handling the ownership change, then I won't be able to
run xsane as a user that way.  My issue is not related to the kernel
version, but it seems that failure to call console.perms would not be,
either.

My cheap hack is to create a scanner group and change the device's
permissions to allow users in that group to read and write to the
device.  That solution isn't preserved across reboots without hacking
some UDEV configs and of course, it isn't preserved across OS upgrades.
In addition, it doesn't prevent multiple users from accessing the
device.  Fortunately, I'm the only user at the moment.

Is there a better solution for my setup?

--
                Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu