Re: is there something unreliable about "showmount -e"?

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007, Felix Miata wrote:

> On 2007/07/28 06:08 (GMT-0400) Robert P. J. Day apparently typed:
>
> >   just yesterday, i was demonstrating NFS to a class of people
> > running F7 on their laptops, and i set up a simple NFS export on
> > one system, and asked everyone else to run "showmount -e" against
> > that server.
>
> >   only one system in the class got output from showmount, although
> > everyone could ping the server properly.  i found this just a bit
> > odd, and spent a few minutes trying to figure out what was
> > happening, to no avail.
>
> I ran into this maybe a day or two ago. One of the systems was a
> fresh install, and its hosts.allow and hosts.deny were both
> functionally empty. After putting my usual portmap entries in them
> and restarting nfs the problem went away.

hmmmm ... i never even looked at those files, but that still wouldn't
explain why *one* person had correct output while all the rest didn't,
since none of them were messing with that file.  how curious.  but
they were all fresh 64-bit installs.

i guess i'll just pay closer attention next time to see what the
problem might have been.

rday
Robert P. J. Day
Waterloo, Ontario, CANADA