Re: Goodbye F7

> This is something I see on the Fedora lists and Forums as well as with
> other distros.  People are expecting a single distro to be everything
> for everyone.  I am a firm believer in the saying "jack of all trades,
> master of none".  I would much rather see Fedora stick with one target
> group of users with one focus in mind rather than trying to please
> everyone with a zillion different spins.

By your logic, Fedora should support Gnome or KDE but not both. Which do you
use? Maybe we should dump that?

But I agree with you that there should not be a billion features, but what is
the point of having two hogs? KDE or Gnome? Why not have one hog (the one that
you don't use perhaps) and one nimbler desktop (the one that I don't)?

> I can understand Fedora loyalty and wanting to stick with Fedora and
> make it do what you want to do but Linux is Linux and there are distros
> out there that will do what you are asking.  If you are dead set on
> Fedora than why not try and do your own re-spin?

Well, one could use xubuntu for one thing. Have you noticed how snappy that is,
btw? Compared with ubuntu or F, for that matter? (And I am not pitching for
XFCE, just keep an option on).

I just think that any good linux distribution should not lose sight of its core
base, which is people who believe that computers should compute and which
believes that efficiency matters. Remember what someone said in 1995: it does
not matter that the OS is a hog, because people will go and buy new hardware,
Of course, the kept media did not have the abililty to tell that monopolist
that a efficiently written software is as good for something with 4GB RAM
(unthinkable in those days, but is what I have) as it is for 256MB RAM.

I consider F a good Linux distribution.

Best wishes,
Trotter

http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/