vmware client slow

Hello everybody
I installed Centos 4.2, then vmware server and then a client fed6 and Microsoftserver2003.

I only connected two workstations.During a transfer of large files from another server to this installation the system gets very slow.I mean very slow, hardly acceptable to work with.

If I take a backup on disk with tar, the system also gets slow but not so slow.

The server has one Xeon processor and 3 GB ram, 2 x 73GB SATA mirroring.

Is there a way to test this system. When I try free and top this shows information as if the whole memory is used. What do I have to look for. What do I have to investigate on Vmware?

Thanks for help. I convinced the client to switch to linux, but I don't think he is convinced. :)
--
Roland Brouwers
C.A.T. bvba