Re: How to programmatically modify configuration files?

Arch Willingham writes:

I have a script that does a bunch of installation stuff. It works well but
I can't figure out how to modify some of the configuration files
(/etc/samba/smb.conf for example). Is there any easy command to do this?
For example, I'd like to change the file so that "workgroup = MYGROUP"
becomes "workgroup = ÁUBURN"

Any suggestions?

Write a Perl script to do this, or a shell script that runs sed:

sed 's/^workgroup =.*/workgroup = ÁUBURN/'

You have to be careful with whitespace. Also, you have to be sure that smb.conf is going to take the accented text.