Re: F7 Help

2007/7/25, antonio montagnani <antonio.montagnani@xxxxxxxxx>:
2007/7/25, Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> antonio montagnani wrote:
> > I was running F7 on an external USB disk.
> > I powerd off the hard dik during operation, and now I can see only the
> > /boot partition and of course I cannot start the PC.
> >
> > How can I recover the situation??? I mena without re-installing???
>
> The first step is to find out what the damage is. I normally boot
> from a live CD, or the install CD in the rescue mode. From there,
> the next step is to run "fdisk -l /dev/sdx" where x is the letter
> for the USB drive. This will let you see what partitions you have.
> If the partition table is messed up, then you have to fix that
> before trying anything else.
>
> If the partitions are all there, then the next step is to check the
> partitions. You can run fschk on the /boot partition to see if it is
> correct. If you are using lvm, then checking the other partitions
> gets a bit more complicated. Because you can still read /boot, I
> would read /boot/grub/grub.conf and see what volume group the root
> partition is on. You should see something like:
>
> title Fedora Core (2.6.20-1.2962.fc6)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.20-1.2962.fc6 ro
> root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 rhgb quiet
>
> This tells me that the root file system is on Volume Group 0,
> Logical Volume 0, so I know that there is at least one Volume Group,
> and it has at least one Logical Volume. I also know their names.
>
> I am not that good with lvm yet, so I usually work with the LVM man
> pages open in one VT, and work in the other to diagnose the
> problems. Hopefully someone that is better with LVM will post how to
> check/repair LVM problems. If not, and you determine that it is a
> LVM problem, I will do my best to walk you through it...
>
> I have found the SystemRescue CD handy for doing this type of work...
>
> http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page
>
> Mikkel
> --
>
>   Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
> for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!
>

> --

Dispositivo Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1   *           1          13      104391   83  Linux
/dev/sdb2              14       19457   156183930   8e  Linux LVM
[root@Casa ~]#
 and then??? tnx for help... (any way I am learning, but I have all backups !!)

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

I made a desperate try :-)
I inserted the original Fedora DVD and I told to upgrade an existing
installation (that was found): in two secnds work was completed, I
rebooted and it works!!!!

Kind of magic: any explanation????

--
Antonio Montagnani