Re: Fedora 7 freezes two or three times per day

Dawning Sky wrote:

 From what I have gathered from different forums and bug lists is that
this is not directly a driver issue but an issue between the driver and
kernel.  It seems to occur with different video drivers.

On one forum, it was reported by someone that they compiled their own
kernel without CFS support and all their freezups were gone.

Is this CFS Completely Fair Scheduler?  I thought it would go into the
kernel at 2.6.23?  I hate to compile the kernel.  Haven't done that
for many years.  Maybe I'll just stick with the nv driver, if my
machine stops freezing.

DS

Yes,

I understood that it was in the present kernel but I am repeating what was mentioned on the nvidia support forum. But other things I am reading is that you are correct. If it isn't the CFS, then the posters comment on the nvidia forum was in error. What I do see is that some of the CFS code is supposed to be in the kernel though, part of CFQ (?) I don't understand enough of the coding to fully understand.

But on the Linux Kernel Mailing List, there is a thread on video issues with the CFS.

I know that on my machine at home, even the gnome splash screen will freeze the system. ssh into it and I see that Xorg is in the 95% range.

I went to an earlier version of the nvidia driver (I need 3D) and I will have loss of mouse or keyboard from time to time. If I use mplayer and change the speed using the "}" key, I lose all input. Strange screen flashes but I don't end up with a total machine freeze. In gqview, if I quickly go through images using the space bar, the display will flash like it loses scanning.

This is using the Freshrpms and dkms tools. I have to find some time to play with the latest kernel and drivers to see what happens. I am hoping for an evening of rain to give me a reason to stay in the house and not do yard work or go in the pool. :)

I have read about this same issue with different video cards so it isn't just nvidia video cards. There is a bug report on bugzilla about a different card.

I am also reading about this happening on different versions of Linux.
--
Due to the move to Exchange Server,
   anything that is a priority, please phone.