Re: cannot install fc7, fc6, or fc5 on new machine

Vicki and Dave Stevenson wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't have much chance to work on this over the weekend, but it was so encouraging to hear from all of you. Thanks Chris, Andy, Stan, Jim and Willem for your suggestions.

I managed to update the BIOS (which was several revs old - ver 0502 to ver 1001), and that seemed to be enough to get me past the sticking point:
    running /sbin/loader

and the installation is proceeding. How lovely it feels to be asked what language I speak!

It's great that you can now at least start the installation.

Regarding AHCI, the wikipedia states the below excerpt. So depending on what vmware is capable of, you may have some challenges.

AHCI is fully supported in Microsoft Windows Vista and the Linux operating system from kernel 2.6.19. Older versions of Microsoft Windows require drivers written by the host bus adapter vendor in order to support AHCI.

Fedora 7 now is at the below levels for kernels, so it *should* work.

kernel-2.6.22.1-20.fc7
kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7

For CPU frequency, I would go with settings which match the CPU that you are using and the speed the memory is rated at.

Jim