Re: Smart packages

On Sunday 22 July 2007 12:21:15 pm Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 22, 2007 at 10:56:55 -0600,
>
>   Karl Larsen <k5di@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> > >
> > >There is no need to do. There is a network boot option with boot.iso
> > >image and there are Live images, both GNOME and KDE spins for x86 is
> > >around the size you want.
> > >
> > >Rahul
> >
> > 	As usual Rahul you didn't read what I wrote. You just throw out
> > 	things that have zero to do with concept.
>
> Rahul seemed to provide reasonable suggestions for the problems you are
> asking about. Doing a network install solves the issue of downloading
> stuff you don't need. Fedora has Live CD versions that you were asking
> about.

rahul outlines an excellent option.  the network boot.iso is nice!  i just
used it for the first time (for fedora 7) on several different servers.  (why
didn't i think of that until now, rh9-fc1-fc6 could have been a lot quicker!)

the only thing i *wish* is that it would download things directly from
updates, and not the initial release version so you wouldn't have to do a yum
update immediately after a network install.

but it was way better than downloading tons of cds or an entire dvd for some
non-graphical server environs.

thanks fedorafolks for that network install option, by the way.

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E