Re: Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

Andy Green wrote:
Nevertheless, I'd appreciate any pointers in resolving the problem. When
installing the next kernel, I don't wish to be left with new kernel that
possibly won't work, and a kernel that definitely doesn't work.

You can at least avoid that fate by editing

/etc/yum/pluginconf.d/installonlyn.conf

This is responsible for controlling the "last 2 kernels" action in
yum... you can either disable it in there or change the number of
kernels it keeps.
At the value of two, yum will keep the currently running kernel, install a newer kernel, and then erase any other one (it wont erase your currently running one). Given you can't boot the dodgy one, to the point where you can run yum, there isn't a way for the possibility you suggest to occur.

There is other yum- plugings to hold packages at certain releases etc.

DaveT.