Re: Mystery of chroot

On Monday 23 July 2007, Les wrote:
>On Sun, 2007-07-22 at 22:26 -0700, David Boles wrote:
>> on 7/22/2007 10:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

>> > Well, if you're not sure of what your definition is of "a true Unix OS"
>> > then a challenge or question as to if a PC will run them kind of loses
>> > its meaning.
>> >
>> > I venture to say that most folks would classify Solaris as a "true Unix
>> > OS" and yes, they mostly ran on Sparc CPU server systems in rooms with
>> > false floors and big A/C's.  And yes, in the early days, the workstation
>> > varieties used Sparc CPU's and not your typical Intel or AMD processor.
>> >
>> > But, today Solaris runs just fine on Intel.  So, I would submit that as
>> > an answer to your question.
>>
>> Like I said - I was thinking of main frame stuff on big cabinets in really
>> cold rooms.
>>
>> I have never tried Solaris or Sparc. Are they considered what I described
>> as 'a true Unix'? I was not even aware that they would run in x86 type
>> equipment.
>>
>> I am *not* trying to be a smart *** here. I would like to know.
>
>Yes, Solaris is Unix, and runs on x86 and lots of other architectures.
>As to the big machines in really cold rooms, most modern desktops have
>more power than the early Unix systems did.  In 1972 a 10Mb disk was
>huge.  I worked on a 40Mb disk which had air pumps, pnumatic pistons to
>drive the heads and ran at 3600 RPM with platters that were about 20" in
>diameter if I remember right.
>
>	Sparc is a kind of processor, it means Sparse instruction set computer.
>Generally with 32 or so registers, these cpus were capable of very fast
>operations, and only have 20-50 instructions.  Kind of a hardware
>implementation of a P-machine for PASCAL.

Humm, I wonder how the ParalaXx(sp?) 'propeller' would run one of these os's?
I'd imagine it has a quite sparse instruction set, but it has 32, 32 bit
processors in it, running at about 50mhz each, using microwatts each.
Properly harnessed & pipelined, I'd think it could be pretty speedy & its in
a 48 or 64 pin dip package!  I'd think the package would make it i/o bound,
but I'm just guessing.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)