Re: Mystery of chroot

David Boles wrote:
on 7/22/2007 12:46 PM, Felix Miata wrote:
On 2007/07/22 11:28 (GMT-0500) Mikkel L. Ellertson apparently typed:

One other thing to keep in mind is that it is better to create the
first partition using Windows. Windows and Linux do not always agree
on the geometry of the drive. If you create a partition using
Windows, then Linux fdisk will see the geometry that Windows is
using and use it.
Doz needs reinstalling far more often than Linux, so better to understand
how to make the problem of installing doz after Linux a non-issue. If you
use a cross-platform partitioning tool, geometry differences according to
what's booted shouldn't be an issue.
http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/install-doz-after.html

Doz? Windows or misspelled Dos?

As for Windows "needs reinstalling far more often than Linux"? Maybe for
some. I installed XP PRO in early 2002, it is needed for work, and the
only time I have had to reinstall was last spring when my hard drive
failed and I replaced it. I would not say two times in six years is often.

Some individuals, and I've heard, some IT organizations, back up user data and reinstall Windows as part of either regular maintenance or as part of "trouble shooting". The IT orgs were "ghosting" a standard setup for all PCs, IIRC.

~~R