Re: "No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found"

On Sunday 22 July 2007 16:44, Dave Cross wrote:
> On 7/22/07, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Sunday 22 July 2007 11:13, Dave Cross wrote:
> >>   $ rpm -q kernel
> >>   kernel-2.6.22.1-27.fc7
> >
> > Thats Interesting. snd-hda-codec should be loaded along with
> > snd-hda-intel. I'd looked in
> > /lib/modules/2.6.21-1.3228.fc7/kernel/sound/pci/hda, snd-hda-codec is
> > there, but looking in the same place but with the 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel,
> > there is only snd-hda-intel, no snd-hda-codec.
> >
> > Have you still got the earlier kernel/s, that you could try, and see if
> > you get the same results?
> >
> > Just a thought.
>
> Very interesting. This is the first F7 kernel that I've installed on
> this PC. But looking at the kernel RPM on the F7 magazine disk I have
> (kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.i686.rpm), snd-hda-codec is present.
>
> So, was snd-hda-codec omitted from the kernel deliberately? And how
> easy would it be to build a copy that works with this kernel?

I don't if it was deliberate. Perhaps the codec is now incorporated in
snd-hda-intel, much as tda9887 is now incorporated in the tuner module for my
TV card since kernel 2.6.18. It is strange though that you are getting
complaints about "unable to initialise codec".

I'm going to ask on the Alsa user list, so can you post the output of
cat /proc/asound/version , as I've got F7 booted with the earlier kernel at
the mo, because the latest kernel, along with udev is messing with my video
devices, and Xawtv keeps bringing up the webcam on /dev/video1, rather than
The TV card on /dev/video0.

> Thanks for the help,
>
> Dave...

It's worth seeing if the earlier kernel is still available using Yumex. I use
Apt, and Synaptic, and as default saves all kernels, but I always disable the
installonlyn plugin in /etc/pluginconf.d, changing enabled=1 to enabled=0.
That way all kernels will be saved, and you never know when you might need to
revert to an earlier one, if a new kernel presents some problems.

Nigel.