Re: F7 installation to partition >15

On Sunday 22 July 2007 5:26:21 am Felix Miata wrote:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/Beats/Installer seems to infer that
> installation to hda16 should be possible by formatting and labeling the
> target partition in advance, but even after doing that Anaconda fails on no
> such device or address /tmp/sda16. I looked in release notes without
> finding the subject addressed, and Googled over an hour without finding
> anything helpful. Anyone know where docs about installing F7 on a partition
> >15 can be found, or how to do it?

For newer kernels (>= 2.6.20), like that used in Fedora7, all /dev/hd*s will
appear as /dev/sd*s. This is a result of Linux using the libATA drivers for
PATA as well as SATA from now this kernel onwards.

With PATA disks, you where able to have up to 63 partitions. With SATA this is
limited to 15. This is a fundamental limitation, nothing you can do about it.

Try searching the web for some combination of "sda hda 15 partition kernel
2.6.20" and you will find lots of discussions. I'm not sure if there is a
solution though I'm afraid, other than change your partitions.

cheers Chris