RE: Testing Ground

On Sat, 2007-07-21 at 18:50 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
>       I have felt for years that Fedora is a testing source for Red Hat. They
> do a whole lot for Fedora but it is done to keep us going and willing to
> try new things. This is not bad but it gets to me. I stayed with FC4 for
> years because of the stories I heard about FC5,6 and then 7. I remember
> when Red Hat 6.x came out and it was so much fun. It was what Red Hat
> wanted Linux to look like. Work on X windows was ongoing and it was sure
> needed. Getting X to work was a hobby of mine.

Fedora is and pretty much always has been a development bed for RedHat,
they do not come out and say it but they do not deny it either.  I
thought this was pretty much evident from the beginning?  Most don't
seem to really have an issue with it...

Here is a link to one of RedHat's FAQs

http://kbase.redhat.com/faq/FAQ_61_1139.shtm

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project geared toward developers and highly technical enthusiasts
using Linux in non-critical environments. It is also a proving ground
for new technology that may eventually make its way into Red Hat
products and the open source code base. The goal of the Fedora Project
is to work with the Linux community to build a complete, general purpose
operating system exclusively from free software."

Basically, to me it comes down to this, if you are looking for a cutting
edge distro with the latest and greatest go with the latest release of
Fedora.  If you want something more stable then go one release behind
current Fedora or go with another distro.  That is the way I have always
looked at it...

Just my 2 cents, take 'em or leave 'em

Bob