Re: Fedora 7 kickstart problem with rebuilt Everything image

David Timms wrote:
Howard Wilkinson wrote:
First the version of yum available in updates currently is incompatible with the version of anaconda. The problem is that this version of yum does not create the headers directory and anaconda assumes it will exist.

   anaconda-11.2.0.66-1.i386.rpm
   yum-3.2.1-1.fc7
Which headers directory ? {the dvd/everything repo doesn't have such a folder}
The headers directory is populated (referenced?) by anaconda during a kickstart only and is expected to have been created by yum, not sure what it is used for but I found an obscure references to this in one of the bulletin boards and tested it out. I have not tried the development combination yet as this requires some serious rebuilding in our environment.

To get round this we have reverted to yum-3.2.0-1.fc7.noarch.rpm for now but will probably try out the development releases of anaconda and yum next week.
It's very close {< week?} to freeze time for next fedora, if this an issue, prompt bugzilla check/report would be good.
Where do I put this some more pointers would be helpful?

More worrying is a problem with dependencies in building the kernel initrd images. The newly built Everything regime has the latest kernel - kernel-2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 - as available from updates.
I don't think this is correct:
http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/i386/os/Fedora/
kernel*-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.*.rpm

However, if you have inserted the newer kernel yourself, or are making updates repo available during the install then that is different.
I have taken the Everything build and replaced the packages in the image with those available in updates from a week ago (or thereabouts) and then rebuilt the images so I can kickstart directly from it. We use NFS based builds so additional repositories are a problem. Same issue arises with the older kernel if I rebuild the image so the pkgorder is not running with enough arguments I think (worked this out last night) now need to confirm that I can force mdadm to be loaded earlier.

In the kickstart.cfg can you request particular version install:
kernel-2.6.21-1.3194.fc7.*.rpm ?
I already forced the new kernel by removing the old one and allowing the new one to be the only one in the set.

This issue might also be checked/reported in bugzilla. Developers expected that people might want to enable repos during install, but perhaps had not considered the updates repo being active, and hence installing only the updated kernel/yum. IMHO ideally, I would want the release kernel and the latest released update kernel installed. If you use this process without the updates repo active, does it work ?

But when the kickstart install runs the mkinitrd cannot find /sbin/mdadm as the mdadm package is not a dependency of the kernel (and should not be for all builds but ....[1]) This has the effect of allowing the build to complete but when the system reboots LVM cannot find the logical volume groups because the raid has not started.

   /We build our systems with mirrored boot partitions on /dev/md0 and
   mirrored /dev/md1 on the remainder of the disc with logical volumes
   on this portion of the disc including the root partition. Hence the
   problem above.[1]/

To get round this we are rebuilding the kernel to require the mdadm package - but this is really not what we should be doing. Somewhere in the RPM, YUM, Anaconda, regime we need to be able to specify that mdadm (and lvm2) needs to be installed prior to the kernel installation, only for our particular configurations not in general. Any ideas anybody?
I tried the soft raid /boot before in fc5 and found it no go. From memory there was work planned for either f7 or f8 to make this possible. Perhaps checkout http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Grub2ToDo
We have had this configuration working since FC4 and build all of our systems this way!

DaveT.

SO how do I feed package order data into the buildinstallimage script - this may fix the second problem.

Howard

--
Signature

Howard Wilkinson