Re: A new use for Linux

Antonio Olivares:
>> As to combat that, I do not know, some say use a
>> Magnet and put it next to the hard drive that you want
>> to be erased for good.  By doing that according to
>> some there is no way in the world that the FBI can get
>> your data.  I do not know how true the above statement
>> is, but many people that know about computers have
>> suggested this.

Aaron Konstam:
> I tend to use a 5 lb hammer. Magnets are for sissies.

;-)  I had lots of fun doing things that you shouldn't do to an
expensive hard drive that needed wrecking.  Shotput onto a concrete
floor, hurling it as far as I could in the garden, disassembling the
mechanism (not easy when you don't have the appropriate screwdriver),
and so on.

I let my nephew loose on the last one, he wrenched the thing apart
through brute force, and removed the platter with a pair of vice grips.
It didn't look anything like it's original shape.  ;-)

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.