Re: command "free -b"

On Fri, 2007-07-20 at 16:57 +0200, joachim.backes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi, Aaron,
>
> I see. But this does not explain _why_  something is lost. The man
> page
> of the "free" cmd should be improved in a manner that "free" does not
> show the _whole_ physical memory size, but a reduced one.
>
> I'm wondering that nobody complains about this "hole".
Someone else pointed out this extra memory is reserved for the kernel
and the BIOS.
Rahul once explained how this arithmetic goes but I can't reproduce his
explanation. It involves using the buffer/cache display in the
calculation.
But there is something wrong with the display of free.
Look at the -o option explanation which does not seem to do what it says
it does.
All is fear in love and war.