Re: Please Help - ADSL/eth0 problems

Pepper&Joe wrote:
I am running a Gigagbyte GA8S661FXMP-RZ Motherboard with 1 GB memory
installed. It is a dual processor motherboard but I am only running
one 1xP4 2.4 GHz CPU. I have 2 IDE drives (first in line) and one
SATA drive where I have both XP and Fedora 7 installed. There are 3
partitions on the SATA drive: the first one for XP, the second for
storage and the third for Linux. I have a Radeon 9800 pro Video card
and a Viewsonic VG2021m LCD monitor. I am having no problems
whatsoever with sound or video.......I just can't get the internet
working. My adaptor is a SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adaptor - Packet
Scheduler Miniport, type, ethernet-csmacd, 100 Mbps. I have tried
everything to get Linux hooked up to the internet.....I tried setting
the eth0 to DHCP, BootP and Dialup, I tried changing the IP, Gateway
and subnet masks from the values provided to me by my ISP (even
though they are only needed for static IP's (and mine is dynamic) to
"server"......and on and on and on...I cannot get eth0 to activate
and so I am not even yet here mentioning whether my ADSL connection
will activate or is setup right as it is my assumption that if eth0
doesn't activate, neither will ADSL. I would sure appreciate any and
all help. I am admittedly a newbie to Linux although I have tried
installing it on several occasions alongside windows in the past, I
have never really reached out for help with failed installs and just
abandoned them. This is as far as I have ever got and I am anxious to
make it work. Sound, video and everything are working just can't get
hooked up to the internet which is my primary reason for wanting to
run Linux. Cheeers Joseph

What is your hardware configuration? You don't mention an ADSL modem/router anywhere.

You can't plug an Ethernet adaptor into an ADSL socket (well, you probably can physically...). You need a modem to connect to your ISP over ADSL, and to route between ADSL and Ethernet. Your Linux box should connect to the ADSL router, and most likely get its IP settings from that using DHCP.

E-mail :    nmw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555